sAvenSurfaceproperties.txt from the "No Footsteps" addon doesn't disable the "dust/bullet impact" particles when shooting at walls. I downloaded JarateKing's cleantf2 surfaceproperties.txt and the only thing that's different from his file and yours is that his "gamematerial" is a "-" and your "gamematerial" is a "C". Is this intentional? If not, could it be added into your config?
I disable impact particles using fx_* commands in the dxsupport_override.cfg in the low and very low VPKs.
aierado you have any idea what cvar causes my demos to be choppy?
i run the very low preset
also while i'm at it what does "-particles" do
I don't know why demos are choppy. Been trying to look at it for a while, but it seems like some TF2 issue? Could you confirm it doesn't happen without the config? But very low does lots of stuff that might be causing it
-particles 1 limits the number of beam particles (particles with a start and end point). It also allocates less memory for those particles. The minimum is 512, so 1 is just saving space.
Harrow@catman1900 i tried it both on the low and the medium low presets. And for some reason they capped even lower at 180
A stable FPS is better than high peak FPS.
An FPS limit decreases loading screen time.
An FPS limit saves power which can improve performance due to resources not being used for little reason.
FPS has diminishing returns for higher FPS because the frame time reduction is inversely proportional.
I'd recommend setting fps_max to FPS you can stably get.
* Enhanced networking settings to improve reliability
* Removed recommendation to disable networked packet thread (-NoQueuedPacketThread, net_queued_packet_thread 0) on Linux because Linux now uses the packet thread. Please remove these from your settings if you have them.
* Optimized graphics performance
* Fixed a few ragdoll bugs
* Optimized CPU performance
* Improved filesystem and memory management
* Improved sound system performance
* Disabled TF2 in-game HUD messages (mostly seen on cl_hud_minmode 0) with No Tutorial addon
* Disabled enforcing hit/kill sounds