Hey everyone. Ever since i bought my new laptop in February of this year, I have been having a weird sound glitch whenever I play TF2. So far it's only happening when tf2 or gmod is open so I'm guessing it has something to do with the source engine or my new pc? Every 5 seconds or so my sound changes like it's coming from under water. Everything sounds blurry for 2-3 seconds. It affects my tf2 sound as well as my music in the background. I have encoutered 2 or 3 people with the same problem, but their fix didn't seem to solve it for me. I'm really desperate for a solution, I have 1700h in TF2 (of which about 500 hours with the bug) but I don't want to continue playing with this problem because it's soooo annoying...
What I have already tried:
- bind snd_restart to a certain button. However, this only gives clear sound for like 10 seconds. People have suggested binding it to w, but my game stutters a bit when i press the certain button, so that's not an option.
- reinstalled the game 2 or 3 times over the past couple of months
- verified integrity of game cache plenty of times in steam
- different headphones
- Changing my 'sound quality' in the TF2 in-game settings
- deleting my sound cache located in C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/Team Fortress 2/tf/sound
- 'fix sound problems' in the windows sound settings.
I used Chris' maxframes config the first 5 months, but in August I started using Comanglia's config. This didn't affect the glitch in any way. Switching from windows 8.1 to windows 10 home also didn't fix it.
My Toshiba laptop uses Conexant Smartaudio HD software. The other specs are:
- Processor: Intel Core i7-4510U CPU @ 2.00 GHz 2.60 GHz
- RAM: 8,00 GB
- 64 bits
Here's a post on reddit from some other guy with the same problem but he doesn't remember how he fixed it. He also posted a to show how the glitch sounds like. My bug isn't as bad as his, but it's still more than mildly frustrating.
I really hope someone can help me.