TL;DR: A new take on 5CP that any 5CP map can be converted into.
Hi, in this post I want to share a new TF2 game mode that has gone through numerous iterations over the past couple of years. Its minor adjustments are aimed at improving the flow of competitive matches.
It’s still very similar to 5CP but has a few distinct differences:
- The 10-minute round timer is halved and doesn’t reset when control points are captured
- Overtime matters ( interesting implications)
- When the round timer hits zero, both teams get the same amount of score-points as the amount of control points they own.
For example: RED owns BLU's 2nd at 0:00 --> Red gains 4 points, Blu gains 1
Capturing Last ends the current round and awards the team 5 points before a new round begins. The time limit remains at 30 minutes.
"Old" scoring method:
At 0:00, only the dominant team earns score-points:
Owning Mid at 0:00 -> 1 point
Owning Enemy 2nd at 0:00 -> 2 points
Capturing Last -> 5 points
Every 5CP map can be converted into PC, I have done so with cp_gullywash, cp_snakewater, cp_badlands and cp_process and I provide links to my template, documentation and conversion guide below.
Neither the round time nor the capture point scoring values are set in stone and can be adjusted if need be.
Download the desired .bsp file from the playable Maps download link below and simply drag it into X:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\tf\maps
5CP -> PC Conversion Guide:
- Arie for providing me with serveme.tf premium for tests and map uploads
- the creators of the original maps I stole (chojje, tovilovan, Arnold, Valve, ScorpioUprising,...) and their collaborators
- special thanks to chojje for providing me with the snakewater.vtf
- Sideshow for this video that got me working years ago
- UEAKCrash for his valuable mapping tutorials
- ABoojumSnark for his game mode library
- TF2maps.net for being an open, friendly and helpful community and resource
- Nuze for his interest and hosting the first chaotic mixes
- Lucrative for occasional chats
- cirlo for being very supportive and great to discuss ideas with
- nonagon and KevinIsPwn from TF2Stadium for enabling pointcapture tests on their platform (as well as building the badass site to begin with!)
- My friends Mark and Nagle for their support over the years
Due to having gone through the flawed process of decompilation, some areas of the maps have lighting bugs that I haven’t bothered learning how to fix
I am really looking forward to reading your feedback on this game mode, please give it a shot and tell me what you think.
Join our Discord: https://discord.gg/sVqeDcR