Upvote Upvoted 17 Downvote Downvoted
idea
16 Frags +

didn't know what to make the title.

Would be cool if, when you open up a thread you've already read once before, it automatically scrolls you down to the first-new post you haven't seen.

example: http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussions (you may need to register)

didn't know what to make the title.

Would be cool if, when you open up a thread you've already read once before, it automatically scrolls you down to the first-new post you haven't seen.

example: http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussions (you may need to register)
-4 Frags +

Sounds pretty cool but I personally don't see the need for it. I guess if the thread is long enough and you want to go to the post you were at before it'll be kind of hard to find it. Would find it annoying if i didn't want to go to the post i was looking at before though :o

Sounds pretty cool but I personally don't see the need for it. I guess if the thread is long enough and you want to go to the post you were at before it'll be kind of hard to find it. Would find it annoying if i didn't want to go to the post i was looking at before though :o
4 Frags +
OblivionageSounds pretty cool but I personally don't see the need for it. I guess if the thread is long enough and you want to go to the post you were at before it'll be kind of hard to find it. Would find it annoying if i didn't want to go to the post i was looking at before though :o

when you open a thread, how often do you want to reread it as opposed to going straight to the newest posts? personally I rarely want to reread a thead, and I find it annoying having to scroll down and skim through posts to jog my memory as to where I was at previously.

it's more of a hassle currently.

[quote=Oblivionage]Sounds pretty cool but I personally don't see the need for it. I guess if the thread is long enough and you want to go to the post you were at before it'll be kind of hard to find it. Would find it annoying if i didn't want to go to the post i was looking at before though :o[/quote]

when you open a thread, how often do you want to reread it as opposed to going straight to the newest posts? personally I rarely want to reread a thead, and I find it annoying having to scroll down and skim through posts to jog my memory as to where I was at previously.

it's more of a hassle currently.
-5 Frags +

do you see where it says

5 minutes ago
by turtsmcgurts

click that.

do you see where it says

[code]5 minutes ago
by turtsmcgurts[/code]

click that.
1 Frags +
kacedo you see where it says
5 minutes ago
by turtsmcgurts

click that.
turtsmcgurtsautomatically scrolls you down to the first-new post you haven't seen.

apologies if i'm not a internet warrior that is capable of refreshing the page per post :(

edit: not to mention the last time I actually clicked on a thread that wasn't on the side-bar "Forum Activity" was long enough ago that I can't remember. I had to leave the home screen to find this "Site Suggestions" board, that was enough adventuring for me.

[quote=kace]do you see where it says

[code]5 minutes ago
by turtsmcgurts[/code]

click that.[/quote]
[quote=turtsmcgurts]automatically scrolls you down to the [b]first-new post[/b] you haven't seen.[/quote]

apologies if i'm not a internet warrior that is capable of refreshing the page per post :(

edit: not to mention the last time I actually clicked on a thread that wasn't on the side-bar "Forum Activity" was long enough ago that I can't remember. I had to leave the home screen to find this "Site Suggestions" board, that was enough adventuring for me.
1 Frags +

This has already been suggested.

It involves quite a bit of work and additional database space, doubt it will happen any time soon.

This has already been suggested.

It involves quite a bit of work and additional database space, doubt it will happen any time soon.
0 Frags +
atmoThis has already been suggested.

oh, lame :(

[quote=atmo]This has already been suggested.

It involves quite a bit of work and additional database space, doubt it will happen any time soon.[/quote]

oh, lame :(
11 Frags +

if you come up with an elegant solution give me a shout

otherwise no

if you come up with an elegant solution give me a shout

otherwise no
0 Frags +
turtsmcgurtskacedo you see where it says
5 minutes ago
by turtsmcgurts

click that.
turtsmcgurtsautomatically scrolls you down to the first-new post you haven't seen.

oh ok. I read it wrong sorry.

[quote=turtsmcgurts][quote=kace]do you see where it says

[code]5 minutes ago
by turtsmcgurts[/code]

click that.[/quote]
[quote=turtsmcgurts]automatically scrolls you down to the [b]first-new post[/b] you haven't seen.[/quote]

edit: not to mention the last time I actually clicked on a thread that wasn't on the side-bar "Forum Activity" was long enough ago that I can't remember. I had to leave the home screen to find this "Site Suggestions" board, that was enough adventuring for me.[/quote]

oh ok. I read it wrong sorry.
8 Frags +

Enigma's talked to me about this before, and there's about 3 solutions we thought about that might shit on resources. Also, I'm using (universal) post # instead of a timestamp in this example because it's much cheaper for now (post ids are in chronological order).

1) Make a table with every thread and every user with a post # (n:m relation), and unread threads don't have the tuple. Means that every time you load the page, it has to check the index based on the user_id and then thread_id. 99% of this data eventually becomes bloating since you'll probably never read thread 456 again (unless you like to necro posts).

2) Make a blog for each thread and search that. Lack of indexing in the blob makes it kinda suck if the community grows large enough.

3) Make a limited history (~2 weeks) system where everything beyond this limit gets turned into an old post. Now every old thread takes you to the newest post (or just disable the button).

It's why many forums archive really old posts: so they don't have to keep things in the active index. Right now the index is low enough that we get an amazingly fast site (except youtube embded pages). Whether or not adding this would kill the sites performance is just speculation.

Enigma's talked to me about this before, and there's about 3 solutions we thought about that might shit on resources. Also, I'm using (universal) post # instead of a timestamp in this example because it's much cheaper for now (post ids are in chronological order).

1) Make a table with every thread and every user with a post # (n:m relation), and unread threads don't have the tuple. Means that every time you load the page, it has to check the index based on the user_id and then thread_id. 99% of this data eventually becomes bloating since you'll probably never read thread 456 again (unless you like to necro posts).

2) Make a blog for each thread and search that. Lack of indexing in the blob makes it kinda suck if the community grows large enough.

3) Make a limited history (~2 weeks) system where everything beyond this limit gets turned into an old post. Now every old thread takes you to the newest post (or just disable the button).

It's why many forums archive really old posts: so they don't have to keep things in the active index. Right now the index is low enough that we get an amazingly fast site (except youtube embded pages). Whether or not adding this would kill the sites performance is just speculation.
0 Frags +

the most elegant solution in my opinion is to integrate this feature with threads you watch and then keep a limit on the number of threads you can 'watch', looking at the watched threads from your own profile or whatever (and then doing that means that you don't have to bloat the system by having users load an entire page of topics only to find out what they haven't looked at)

the most elegant solution in my opinion is to integrate this feature with threads you watch and then keep a limit on the number of threads you can 'watch', looking at the watched threads from your own profile or whatever (and then doing that means that you don't have to bloat the system by having users load an entire page of topics only to find out what they haven't looked at)
0 Frags +

ye I have no idea myself. I figured it could be done via cookies somehow.

i'm completely oblivious about web design so i'm wrong i'm sure.

ye I have no idea myself. I figured it could be done via cookies somehow.

i'm completely oblivious about web design so i'm wrong i'm sure.
0 Frags +
brownymasterEnigma's talked to me about this before, and there's about 3 solutions we thought about that might shit on resources. Also, I'm using (universal) post # instead of a timestamp in this example because it's much cheaper for now (post ids are in chronological order).

4) Update a last-user-action timestamp every time they load a page on TFTV and compare each post's time to that. While it's not accurate, it might be better than nothing.

Also, keyboard shortcuts would be wicked.

[quote=brownymaster]Enigma's talked to me about this before, and there's about 3 solutions we thought about that might shit on resources. Also, I'm using (universal) post # instead of a timestamp in this example because it's much cheaper for now (post ids are in chronological order).

It's why many forums archive really old posts: so they don't have to keep things in the active index. Right now the index is low enough that we get an amazingly fast site (except youtube embded pages). Whether or not adding this would kill the sites performance is just speculation.[/quote]

4) Update a last-user-action timestamp every time they load a page on TFTV and compare each post's time to that. While it's not accurate, it might be better than nothing.

0 Frags +

I have tapatalk on my communities forum and I do believe it does this for you if you wish. Not that our forums are even half as popular as this one though. Not sure baout you guys but I use tapatalk a lot. Didnt't notice if teamfortress.tv was on there though.

I have tapatalk on my communities forum and I do believe it does this for you if you wish. Not that our forums are even half as popular as this one though. Not sure baout you guys but I use tapatalk a lot. Didnt't notice if teamfortress.tv was on there though.
0 Frags +
atmo4) Update a last-user-action timestamp every time they load a page on TFTV and compare each post's time to that. While it's not accurate, it might be better than nothing.

Then you'll constantly be skipping posts you never read because there was a topic you never read before your last activity. It's extremely inelegant and unintuitive. If you localize it to the thread, it's exactly what I was talking about.

[quote=atmo]4) Update a last-user-action timestamp every time they load a page on TFTV and compare each post's time to that. While it's not accurate, it might be better than nothing.

Also, keyboard shortcuts would be wicked.[/quote]
Then you'll constantly be skipping posts you never read because there was a topic you never read before your last activity. It's extremely inelegant and unintuitive. If you localize it to the thread, it's exactly what I was talking about.
Please sign in through STEAM to post a comment.