We've noticed that the tftv community and TF2 scene has been passionately concerned about moderation of the forums recently, most notably; the locking the 'mal banned thread' as well as other things.
We came to the conclusion that our moderation guidelines were far too vague and that lead to differing views on what should be moderated or controlled and how said things should be done.
To make things right we're going to...
- Unlock the previous threads that we locked over-zealously
- Restore some posts that were minorly derailing but no real hate behind them
- Unban/Untimeout forum users caught in past preach of the last few days
- Update our moderation internal guidelines our mods use
- Upgrade backside mod tools to have better option of handling cases and operating
- Limit our locks to only dire situations and generally move more threads to The Dumpster sub-forum (don't take this as an open invitation to test limits)
- Be more lenient towards derailing (this too)
- Apologize and try not to let it happen again
We're sorry, we want the tf2 community to feel like they have a place to voice their opinions on bans, have a soapbox to speak to the scene at large and quip for a pointless positive red number. Whilst we would like to have it organised, on topic and friendly; doesnt mean we should overstep and force perfection.
TL;DR; We screwed up, we've talked about it, we're making things better, we're going to be more lax, sorry