MisterDannyThe competitive community is 1%, lets try to get the other 99% involved.
that 99% is playing a different game. i dont mean that in the sense of a different ruleset, or the whitelist, or 5cp, i mean they have no interest in trying hard in a video game. tf2 is a stomping ground for new gamers, so a lot of them are people who are still getting used to keyboard controls. or people who can only play for 5-10 minutes. seriously, join any pub, and you will see people rotating in and out constantly. and theres more who just dont think theyre good enough for competitive.
and beyond all that, a major problem is (and always has been) valve itself. many of those who might want to try competitive tend to think that the valve version is at least somewhat representative of a competitive experience, even if theyve heard its bad.
weve just got to do our best to enjoy what is available. thats legitimately the only real way to grow the scene; you have to have fun playing the game. trying to promote competitive gaming to a wider audience that has zero interest in competing is not the way to do that.