Upvote Upvoted 5 Downvote Downvoted
CPU non-native clock?
posted in Hardware
0 Frags +

Hey,

A couple days ago I noticed my computer was going a bit slow. Things would freeze randomly like a stutter (especially when new game content was loaded, like going to a new region on a map or equipping a new item). Today I loaded up dolphin to play melee and it gave me a new error, telling me I was running a non-native CPU clock. Could these things be connected?

I'm on an i5-3570k @ 3.4 ghz. The highest I've seen the CPUs go on CPUID and Speccy is 3391.9 mhz (although I don't know if it's normal for it to be a bit under).

edit: wow, apparently dolphin had CPU clock override enabled (even though it was still set to 100%) and that tripped it off. I guess this thread is invalid now. Although I'd still like to know what happened with the stuttering (especially since it's not just a TF2 thing).

Hey,

A couple days ago I noticed my computer was going a bit slow. Things would freeze randomly like a stutter (especially when new game content was loaded, like going to a new region on a map or equipping a new item). Today I loaded up dolphin to play melee and it gave me a new error, telling me I was running a non-native CPU clock. Could these things be connected?

I'm on an i5-3570k @ 3.4 ghz. The highest I've seen the CPUs go on CPUID and Speccy is 3391.9 mhz (although I don't know if it's normal for it to be a bit under).

edit: wow, apparently dolphin had CPU clock override enabled (even though it was still set to 100%) and that tripped it off. I guess this thread is invalid now. Although I'd still like to know what happened with the stuttering (especially since it's not just a TF2 thing).
0 Frags +

If stutterings are happening even when the pc is in idle or not stressed particularly, could be something wrong with your HDD, like bad sectors or similar stuff, if you have an SSD that's unlikely. Also it could be caused by your RAM.

If stutterings are happening even when the pc is in idle or not stressed particularly, could be something wrong with your HDD, like bad sectors or similar stuff, if you have an SSD that's unlikely. Also it could be caused by your RAM.
0 Frags +

it's normal for it to be a bit under.

Sandy Bridge and later (2011 onward, 2###+ models) handle clock frequency with the simple equation:

Multiplier x Bus Speed

The bus speed is ALWAYS supposed to be 100MHz. It affects things like USB and PCI-E connectivity, and altering it very far from stock will cause issues with those devices (blue screen, kernel panics, etc).

You're supposed to change the multiplier to overclock. The stock multiplier for the i5 3570k is 34, or 34 x 100MHz = 3.4GHz. However, that's only theoretical. The thing is, lower quality motherboards are bad at maintaining a perfect 100MHz bus speed, and sometimes are a little above or below that, so your actual clock may vary. For example, my MSI Z68MA-G45, which is fairly low end, can only maintain a stable 99.76MHz, so even though my multiplier is currently set to 40, my actual clock speed is 3990.48MHz, rather than 4000MHz.

Not sure about stuttering, pretty much RAM, pagefile swapping, bad sectors, fragmentation, or other processes attempting to take priority.

it's normal for it to be a bit under.

Sandy Bridge and later (2011 onward, 2###+ models) handle clock frequency with the simple equation:
[code]Multiplier x Bus Speed[/code]

The bus speed is ALWAYS supposed to be 100MHz. It affects things like USB and PCI-E connectivity, and altering it very far from stock will cause issues with those devices (blue screen, kernel panics, etc).

You're supposed to change the multiplier to overclock. The stock multiplier for the i5 3570k is 34, or 34 x 100MHz = 3.4GHz. However, that's only theoretical. The thing is, lower quality motherboards are bad at maintaining a perfect 100MHz bus speed, and sometimes are a little above or below that, so your actual clock may vary. For example, my MSI Z68MA-G45, which is fairly low end, can only maintain a stable 99.76MHz, so even though my multiplier is currently set to 40, my actual clock speed is 3990.48MHz, rather than 4000MHz.

Not sure about stuttering, pretty much RAM, pagefile swapping, bad sectors, fragmentation, or other processes attempting to take priority.
Please sign in through STEAM to post a comment.