We haven't been done much to communicate our reasoning around the map pool and map cup choices, so I wanted to share some of that here:
One of our current goals at RGL is to continue to improve the map pool, and supporting new maps is critical to that. This is a worthwhile goal which has already had success:
- koth_clearcut, which was introduced in S1 instead of granary/badlands, is now well liked and rated within a few percentage points of the staple map koth_product. koth_bagel is rated similarly (although the sample size is smaller).
- cp_villa was less disliked this season than granary was when it was played in S2, and has the chance to continue to improve, unlike cp_granary.
We haven't included older maps in recent surveys because the spot in the map pool isn't open to them - we'd much rather have a map with mixed opinions that's in development and will improve than one that has similarly mixed opinions and will never improve (i.e. granary/badlands). Maps like reckoner and logjam have been discussed for inclusion in map cups, but are generally pretty static in their current states and have had lukewarm receptions in other regions, so we focused more on maps that have seen less exposure and are newer for this cup.
With all that being said, there are definitely parts of our approach that can be approved. We hear you that the time between this map cup and the start of the season is too short (we would have liked to hold the cup earlier, but didn't want to conflict with Dreamhack). Because of the short time between the cup and the season, we will only include the cup-winning map in S6 if it is received very well and feels definitively season-ready. Otherwise, it will be on-deck to be played in S7 as several of you have suggested, and cp_villa will remain for S6. For future seasons, we will aim to have the map pool determined a season in advance to provide teams ample time to learn maps and avoid the scheduling issue we had this season.
While we're on the topic of the map pool, one of the ideas that's been floated is to include all three koth maps this season rather than including villa, and bring in the map cup map next season. While bagel and clearcut are both liked better than villa, a significant portion of the community is against 3 koth at the moment:
Generally we'd like to see a larger percentage of people in support of 3 koth before testing it, so we aren't considering that option for this season.
At some point in the coming weeks, I'm hoping to get out an article with details from the post season survey which will include more detailed statistics on map opinions this season.
- Improving the map pool is part of our mission at RGL, and promising new maps are critical to that
- Old maps aren't included on the survey because we only have one open spot in the pool, which is currently for new and actively developed maps
- The cup is this late to not conflict with dreamhack
- Our methods of introducing new maps can definitely be improved, and we're listening to your feedback:
- Because of the short time between the cup and the season, we will only include the winning map in S6 if it is received very well and season ready. Otherwise, it will be played in S7 and villa will remain for S6
This post doesn't exhaustively cover every detail of why we've made all of the above decisions, so please reach out to me at DubThink#3877 if you have any further questions or constructive feedback - I'm happy to chat!