Season 2 of the RGL Traditional 6s League has been one for the ages. While the first and second seeds for playoffs have been secured, three remaining teams are all up for contention to attend the first league playoffs LAN since 2015.
As expected, froyotech has dominated the league and currently sits at first, although their loss in W1A to 100 Beasts brought attention early to the parity of the whole league. Nevertheless, FROYO drowned off any concerns of fallibility and were undefeated for the remainder of the season, securing a first place finish. Meanwhile, the aforementioned 100 Beasts rests easy in their secured second place, with their only loss being to froyotech later in the season during W5A.
The remaining two playoff spots are contested between Kings Crew, Highfive Demoman, and Rat Jail, with qualification being determined by the unique RGL points system. Thus, rather then looking at pure W/L records, rounds are the name of the game.
Kings Crew had a rough start, going a whopping 0-4 in the first two weeks of the season. They eventually managed to turn it around, going 7-3 in their remaining matches, losing only to 100 Beasts, froyotech, and Rat Jail in that time. Currently, they are sitting on a 7-7 record with a tentative third place standing.
Highfive Demoman and Rat Jail are both sitting at 8-5 records, with the former in fourth and the latter in fifth place. It is their match, the final one of the regular season, that will determine the playoff composition, with their previous matchup going in favor of Highfive Demoman 5-1.
Accordingly, we have laid out how each team can obtain third, fourth or fifth place based on RGL's point formula as follows:
- The losing team points = (Losing Team Rounds Won) / (Winning Team Rounds Won – 1)
- The winning team points = 3 – (Losing team’s points)
Placements for Highfive Demoman
- 3rd place: Win. That’s all they must do.
- 4th place: They can still make 4th place despite a loss. This can be done if they lose by a score of 1-2, 2-3, 3-4, 4-5, 3-5, 2-4, 2-5, or 1-3.
- 5th place: It is possible for Highfive Demoman to miss playoffs. This will happen with a loss by a score of 1-4, 1-5, or get shut out.
Placements for Rat Jail
- 3rd place: Win. That’s it. 4Head
- 4th place: They can also make playoffs with a loss. To ensure this, they need to lose by a score of 1-2, 2-3, 3-4, 4-5, 3-5, 2-4, 2-5, or 1-3. Basically, Rat Jail needs at least 3 rounds to ensure a playoff spot or a loss by 2 or less margin.
- 5th place: Rat Jail does have a chance to miss playoffs as well. If they get shutout in any fashion or lose by a 1-4 or 1-5 then they’re out.
Placements for Kings Crew
- 3rd place: Not possible.
- 4th place: If Highfive Demoman wins, then it would need to be in a shutout or by 4-1 or 5-1 scores. This would then lock out Rat Jail. If Rat Jail wins, it would need to be in a shutout, 4-1 score, or a 5-1 score, which then locks out Highfive Demoman.
- 5th place: If Highfive Demoman wins and Rat Jail loses, then the score would need to be either 5-3, 2-1, 3-2, 4-3, or 5-4 to shutout Kings Crew of a playoff spot. If Rat Jail wins and Highfive Demoman loses, then the score would need to be 5-2, 3-1, 4-2, 5-3, 2-1, 3-2, 4-3, or 5-4 to shutout Kings Crew.
Below is a table to better display what can happen in this match.
As of the time of writing, the date for this critical final match of the season is yet to be scheduled. Stay tuned to teamfortress.tv for further updates.