It was definitely good and ridiculously fun to watch in the cinema, but lots of things left me with very torn opinions
There's too much to name really. The main things I suppose are as follows, I'll probably miss a few
- Snoke already being dead (unless they somehow bring him back but that would be even worse). Like how are they gonna build up this character so much and then immediately kill him without seemingly any effort. He literally died to the guy put across as one of the most if not the most weak-minded character. This may make more sense in the next movie but at present it just seems to be an odd plot twist
- Luke death from tiredness, I guess the projection thing he did took some crazy amounts of energy since nobody has really ever been seen to do that, and fair enough the scene was quite nice, but it was kinda just like oh
- Leia being force powerful makes sense because there have been hints at it as well as more solid references outside of the films, so her saving herself I didn't see as too stupid. But the thing that REALLY REALLY ruined was the moment where Kylo Ren couldn't bring it on himself to fire at the deck, only moments later to see two tie fighters seemingly kill his mother. I thought that scene was fantastic and the fact that Leia could just save herself sort of undermined it.
- Aside from the almost comical death of snoke I thought the scene of Kylo choosing Rey over Snoke was amazing, I just remember feeling so hyped as it was happening. Like him almost finally transitioning back to the light was a great moment, so it's almost a shame that the events afterwards happened like they did. But that brings another question, who is the main enemy actually going to be? Is it still Kylo Ren, or will he continue this sort of on the wire thing and finally turn back to Jedi
- Too many weird ex machinas as explained
- I can't really think of many other major things for now, but I read a really interesting post on reddit. The guy made the point that technically it was almost 100% Fin and Rose's fault that nearly all of the resistance was wiped out. If the original plan of the small ships escaping to the planet had gone through, there would have been very little casualties from that point onwards. The entire reason the plan didn't work was because the fake codemaster dude told their plan to the first order. If Fin and Rose just didn't do anything then everyone would have been fine. It's kind of funny in a sad way actually.
Overall I thought the film was the most enjoyable to watch to date, perhaps aside from the end of Rogue One because damn that shit was amazing
I rate highly but there were so many controversial moments.