Upvote Upvoted 0 Downvote Downvoted
building a computer
posted in Hardware
0 Frags +

I'm getting out of the 45 fps struggle and building a new PC. My budget is around 500 dollars can spend a little less or a little more. If anyone can find a part list/plan to build a PC around my budget post below, ill give whoever plan I like the most a tf2 key.

I played on a laptop with an i5 2.4 ghz, 6gb ram and nvivdia Geforce 525M

post below!

I'm getting out of the 45 fps struggle and building a new PC. My budget is around 500 dollars can spend a little less or a little more. If anyone can find a part list/plan to build a PC around my budget post below, ill give whoever plan I like the most a tf2 key.

I played on a laptop with an i5 2.4 ghz, 6gb ram and nvivdia Geforce 525M

post below!
2 Frags +

I'll assume you already have peripherals?

I'll assume you already have peripherals?
2 Frags +

there is a thread for this ;)

also pc part picker has pretty good premade plans for budget computers

there is a thread for this ;)

also pc part picker has pretty good premade plans for budget computers
2 Frags +

If you don't know how to assemble a PC yet, then I'd read up on that first.

If you're new to this, logical increments has a bunch of decent setups centered around budget.

http://www.logicalincrements.com/

If you don't know how to assemble a PC yet, then I'd read up on that first.

If you're new to this, logical increments has a bunch of decent setups centered around budget.

0 Frags +
omnificI'll assume you already have peripherals?

yes

crunkmasterFLEXIf you don't know how to assemble a PC yet, then I'd read up on that first.

i know how to put together a computer

[quote=omnific]I'll assume you already have peripherals?[/quote]
yes[quote=crunkmasterFLEX]If you don't know how to assemble a PC yet, then I'd read up on that first.

http://www.logicalincrements.com/[/quote]
i know how to put together a computer
1 Frags +

Get a good Intel Core i5 processor. You'll probably see the most improvement on your frame rate in tf2 for the money that way. 500 Dollars isn't enough for a whole new PC that can run tf2 well so i'm assuming you're just trying to upgrade with that budget.

Get a good Intel Core i5 processor. You'll probably see the most improvement on your frame rate in tf2 for the money that way. 500 Dollars isn't enough for a whole new PC that can run tf2 well so i'm assuming you're just trying to upgrade with that budget.
4 Frags +

oh also if you want to save money you can use a cardboard box as a case for your comouter, there are guides on how to do that

oh also if you want to save money you can use a cardboard box as a case for your comouter, there are guides on how to do that
-1 Frags +
alec_Get a good Intel Core i5 processor. You'll probably see the most improvement on your frame rate in tf2 for the money that way. 500 Dollars isn't enough for a whole new PC that can run tf2 well so i'm assuming you're just trying to upgrade with that budget.

I'm actually not 100% sure about my budget because I don't know how my hours are going to be for the rest of the month but I'm estimating it will be around 500 dollars

[quote=alec_]Get a good Intel Core i5 processor. You'll probably see the most improvement on your frame rate in tf2 for the money that way. 500 Dollars isn't enough for a whole new PC that can run tf2 well so i'm assuming you're just trying to upgrade with that budget.[/quote]
I'm actually not 100% sure about my budget because I don't know how my hours are going to be for the rest of the month but I'm estimating it will be around 500 dollars
0 Frags +
cmeoh also if you want to save money you can use a cardboard box as a case for your comouter, there are guides on how to do that

Wow, I can't believe that's actually a thing.

[quote=cme]oh also if you want to save money you can use a cardboard box as a case for your comouter, there are guides on how to do that[/quote]

Wow, I can't believe that's actually a thing.
1 Frags +

if u cant get an i5 theres no point

if u cant get an i5 theres no point
4 Frags +

awaken setsul

awaken setsul
2 Frags +

you have to tell what you're planning on keeping (if any) from your old build. Otherwise giving a recommendation is pointless.

you have to tell what you're planning on keeping (if any) from your old build. Otherwise giving a recommendation is pointless.
0 Frags +

my computer runs tf2 at about 500 fps using comanglias cfg and parts were 600$ when I built it 2 years back.

i5 3550 3.2 ghz was like ~200$
gtx 650 ti 2gb vram ~100$
asrock z77 pro 4 mobo ~ 150
8gb ram, don't rember price but it was under 100
2tb hard drive 80$.

some of this stuff will probably be cheaper since its 2 years after, but this build has been very reliable for me. getting a 144hz monitor, a nice keyboard, and a nice mouse is definitely worth it but it can be pricy will extend your budget

my computer runs tf2 at about 500 fps using comanglias cfg and parts were 600$ when I built it 2 years back.

2tb hard drive 80$.

some of this stuff will probably be cheaper since its 2 years after, but this build has been very reliable for me. getting a 144hz monitor, a nice keyboard, and a nice mouse is definitely worth it but it can be pricy will extend your budget
5 Frags +

Logical increments isn't a very good start for things like tf2 where the needs are pretty unique

Also just wait for setsul before you do anything based on what anyone else says

Logical increments isn't a very good start for things like tf2 where the needs are pretty unique

1 Frags +
smvnmy computer runs tf2 at about 500 fps using comanglias cfg and parts were 600$ when I built it 2 years back.

2tb hard drive 80$.

8GB RAM is around $60 nowadays

also you forgot your PSU and case

PhunkLogical increments isn't a very good start for things like tf2 where the needs are pretty unique

setsul isn't the only one that can do this you know ;_;

[quote=smvn]my computer runs tf2 at about 500 fps using comanglias cfg and parts were 600$ when I built it 2 years back.

2tb hard drive 80$.

some of this stuff will probably be cheaper since its 2 years after, but this build has been very reliable for me. getting a 144hz monitor, a nice keyboard, and a nice mouse is definitely worth it but it can be pricy will extend your budget[/quote]
8GB RAM is around $60 nowadays

also you forgot your PSU and case

[quote=Phunk]Logical increments isn't a very good start for things like tf2 where the needs are pretty unique

Also just wait for setsul before you do anything based on what anyone else says[/quote]
setsul isn't the only one that can do this you know ;_;
2 Frags +

While I agree that he isn't, the quality and quantity of his suggestions make him a figure whose input I would seek as assurance for whomever might be providing assistance otherwise.

While I agree that he isn't, the quality and quantity of his suggestions make him a figure whose input I would seek as assurance for whomever might be providing assistance otherwise.
3 Frags +

I like quoting myself:

SetsulSetsulSetsulThe usual disclaimer:
Now is the worst time to build/upgrade, (GPU prices are still settling and)new CPUs are one month away.

Is it possible? Yes, even though the budget is a bit tight and you'd have to live without an SSD for a while.*
I would still wait until September ideally, your budget will be higher and the price for the same performance will be lower.

It's more like a type of four eyes principle.
There's a number of people who could, would and have called me out if I made a mistake and that works the other way round too. If two knowledgeable people agree on a build it's probably pretty good.
At this point I just have a certain reputation and I'm one of the most active users in the PC Build Thread, so I think what Phunk wanted to say if you want a quick check by someone whose opinion almost everyone here trusts, I'm probably your best bet.
Except he's wrong because I forgot the check the Hardware forum and only checked the PC Build Thread instead so I was nowhere near as quick as I could've/should've been. Sorry to let you down Phunk. :D

*That's not an empty phrase, I actually checked it with the current prices, but I won't post that build so you wait and get a far better one (+SSD) in September instead. I know it means waiting a month longer (after the August paycheck instead of the July paycheck, if I understood your posts correctly), but you'll have a better gaming experience for years to come and probably a year longer (new vs 1 year old CPU).

I like quoting myself:
[quote=Setsul][quote=Setsul][quote=Setsul]The usual disclaimer:
[b][size=16]Now is the worst time to build/upgrade, [/size][/b][size=5](GPU prices are still settling and)[/size][b][size=16]new CPUs are one month away.[/size][/b][/quote] [/quote][/quote]

Is it possible? Yes, even though the budget is a bit tight and you'd have to live without an SSD for a while.*
I would still wait until September ideally, your budget will be higher and the price for the same performance will be lower.

It's more like a type of four eyes principle.
There's a number of people who could, would and have called me out if I made a mistake and that works the other way round too. If two knowledgeable people agree on a build it's probably pretty good.
At this point I just have a certain reputation and I'm one of the most active users in the PC Build Thread, so I think what Phunk wanted to say if you want a quick check by someone whose opinion almost everyone here trusts, I'm probably your best bet.
Except he's wrong because I forgot the check the Hardware forum and only checked the PC Build Thread instead so I was nowhere near as quick as I could've/should've been. Sorry to let you down Phunk. :D

*That's not an empty phrase, I actually checked it with the current prices, but I won't post that build so you wait and get a far better one (+SSD) in September instead. I know it means waiting a month longer (after the August paycheck instead of the July paycheck, if I understood your posts correctly), but you'll have a better gaming experience for years to come and probably a year longer (new vs 1 year old CPU).
Please sign in through STEAM to post a comment.