Upvote Upvoted 1 Downvote Downvoted
Windows 8.1 Malfunctions
posted in Hardware
0 Frags +

Hello I'm Mubby and I'd like to inform a problem I've been having and if anyone has a solution.
For Christmas I received a Windows 8.1 Toshiba (Satellite) with Intel i3 cores and it works nicely I have a few programs on it and overall it's useful. The problem is when I turned the thing off and went to bed, I woke up in the morning, logged on, and then the start menu freezes and I can't do anything else. All that worked was CTRL+ALT+DEL, even when I tried to use Task Manager the screen just went blue. (Not a crash, just dark blue) I proceeded to try different things with several reboots and when I was about to give up the thing worked normally. Now.. this problem may have happened because I have Classic Shell installed or maybe it was just a common bug of some sort. I've never had anything other happen to it and I'd like it to not happen again so maybe it anyone has any solutions that'd be helpful.

Cheers.

Hello I'm Mubby and I'd like to inform a problem I've been having and if anyone has a solution.
For Christmas I received a Windows 8.1 Toshiba (Satellite) with Intel i3 cores and it works nicely I have a few programs on it and overall it's useful. The problem is when I turned the thing off and went to bed, I woke up in the morning, logged on, and then the start menu freezes and I can't do anything else. All that worked was CTRL+ALT+DEL, even when I tried to use Task Manager the screen just went blue. (Not a crash, just dark blue) I proceeded to try different things with several reboots and when I was about to give up the thing worked normally. Now.. this problem may have happened because I have Classic Shell installed or maybe it was just a common bug of some sort. I've never had anything other happen to it and I'd like it to not happen again so maybe it anyone has any solutions that'd be helpful.

Cheers.
7 Frags +

your RAM may have improperly saved to hiberfil.sys

i've had a soft-crash happen once out of the tens of thousands of times i've restarted, but it cleared itself up after a cold boot (which may have been likely the reason why it seemingly fixed itself -- you weren't doing a "hibernate boot", but rather a completely clean boot.)

run "sfc /scannow" in cmd (ensuring that it's running in administrator mode) & do a memtest.
also, please confirm if you're using secure boot (your BIOS/UEFI should tell you.)
if it happens again, please let me know.

your RAM may have improperly saved to hiberfil.sys

i've had a soft-crash happen once out of the tens of thousands of times i've restarted, but it cleared itself up after a cold boot (which may have been likely the reason why it seemingly fixed itself -- you weren't doing a "hibernate boot", but rather a completely clean boot.)

run "sfc /scannow" in cmd (ensuring that it's running in administrator mode) & do a memtest.
also, please confirm if you're using secure boot (your BIOS/UEFI should tell you.)
if it happens again, please let me know.
Please sign in through STEAM to post a comment.