Upvote Upvoted 3 Downvote Downvoted
Jumping 300 and 50fps
posted in Q/A Help
0 Frags +

Got a computer that should be running 300fps easily, but instead i'm running at 300fps for a few minutes, going to 50 for about 10 seconds, and then going back to 300. I'm already running on an fps config, but it doesn't really matter. No heating issues, no driver issues that i'm aware of. A few of my friends have had similar problems

This makes it particularly difficult to stream, considering I get 200 while streaming, but then the fps drop cuts me down to 20.

Got a computer that should be running 300fps easily, but instead i'm running at 300fps for a few minutes, going to 50 for about 10 seconds, and then going back to 300. I'm already running on an fps config, but it doesn't really matter. No heating issues, no driver issues that i'm aware of. A few of my friends have had similar problems

This makes it particularly difficult to stream, considering I get 200 while streaming, but then the fps drop cuts me down to 20.
2 Frags +

Do you have an antivirus running?

Try playing with steam offline. Sometimes if steam is going up and down (like it is now) it lags every time it reconnects.

Do you have an antivirus running?

Try playing with steam offline. Sometimes if steam is going up and down (like it is now) it lags every time it reconnects.
0 Frags +

Consider capping your framerate using the fps_max command to decrease fluctuation. Recommended cap is monitors refreshrate * 2 +1. e. g. 60 hz monitor = 121 fps.

But yeah if you're dropping to 50 that's a problem, probably an external program using lots of cpu capacity.

Consider capping your framerate using the fps_max command to decrease fluctuation. Recommended cap is monitors refreshrate * 2 +1. e. g. 60 hz monitor = 121 fps.

But yeah if you're dropping to 50 that's a problem, probably an external program using lots of cpu capacity.
0 Frags +
frequentConsider capping your framerate using the fps_max command to decrease fluctuation. Recommended cap is monitors refreshrate * 2 +1. e. g. 60 hz monitor = 121 fps.

If you're going to cap your framerate just cap it at the highest fps you can consistently get. The shit about refresh rate is wrong, having 122 fps is objectively better than 121 fps.

[quote=frequent]Consider capping your framerate using the fps_max command to decrease fluctuation. Recommended cap is monitors refreshrate * 2 +1. e. g. 60 hz monitor = 121 fps.

But yeah if you're dropping to 50 that's a problem, probably an external program using lots of cpu capacity.[/quote]

If you're going to cap your framerate just cap it at the highest fps you can consistently get. The shit about refresh rate is wrong, having 122 fps is objectively better than 121 fps.
1 Frags +

1 Frags +

Have you tried being off friends/disabling steam community? Is a similar issue present in other steam or non steam games?

Have you tried being off friends/disabling steam community? Is a similar issue present in other steam or non steam games?
0 Frags +
frequentConsider capping your framerate using the fps_max command to decrease fluctuation. Recommended cap is monitors refreshrate * 2 +1. e. g. 60 hz monitor = 121 fps.

deetrfrequentConsider capping your framerate using the fps_max command to decrease fluctuation. Recommended cap is monitors refreshrate * 2 +1. e. g. 60 hz monitor = 121 fps.

I did this in the past the first time this problem arose (the problem magically vanished for about a year, just came back) and it didn't change anything, it simply went from whatever i capped it to, and went down to ~50 again.

yukiHave you tried being off friends/disabling steam community? Is a similar issue present in other steam or non steam games?

No luck.

I checked my temps just now, my cpu and gpu are both hovering around the average 50c, and there's no fluctuation in them really. Running a virus scan now with Malware Bytes hoping to pick something up.

[quote=frequent]Consider capping your framerate using the fps_max command to decrease fluctuation. Recommended cap is monitors refreshrate * 2 +1. e. g. 60 hz monitor = 121 fps.

But yeah if you're dropping to 50 that's a problem, probably an external program using lots of cpu capacity.[/quote]

[quote=deetr][quote=frequent]Consider capping your framerate using the fps_max command to decrease fluctuation. Recommended cap is monitors refreshrate * 2 +1. e. g. 60 hz monitor = 121 fps.

If you're going to cap your framerate just cap it at the highest fps you can consistently get. The shit about refresh rate is wrong, having 122 fps is objectively better than 121 fps.[/quote]

I did this in the past the first time this problem arose (the problem magically vanished for about a year, just came back) and it didn't change anything, it simply went from whatever i capped it to, and went down to ~50 again.

[quote=yuki]Have you tried being off friends/disabling steam community? Is a similar issue present in other steam or non steam games?[/quote]

No luck.

I checked my temps just now, my cpu and gpu are both hovering around the average 50c, and there's no fluctuation in them really. Running a virus scan now with Malware Bytes hoping to pick something up.
Please sign in through STEAM to post a comment.