Upvote Upvoted 22 Downvote Downvoted
1 2 3 4 ⋅⋅ 9
Overwatch Event Impressions
posted in Other Games
0 Frags +

http://www.reddit.com/r/Overwatch/comments/2xbzet/overwatch_event_impressions_and_experiences/

http://www.reddit.com/r/Overwatch/comments/2xbzet/overwatch_event_impressions_and_experiences/
-18 Frags +

I hope b4nny makes a thread about his first impression.

I hope b4nny makes a thread about his first impression.
-43 Frags +

Wow muselk really liks that game. I was not a fan of their artwork but with muselk praising it so much, im definitely gonna try it.

Wow muselk really liks that game. I was not a fan of their artwork but with muselk praising it so much, im definitely gonna try it.
42 Frags +

Every post I see of overwatch sounds something directly from /r/hailcorporate, it's just so blatant.

Hope the game proves me wrong tho, but so far Ive seen nothing but promises and a barely original concept

Every post I see of overwatch sounds something directly from /r/hailcorporate, it's just so blatant.

Hope the game proves me wrong tho, but so far Ive seen nothing but promises and a barely original concept
66 Frags +

I wonder how many people are going to praise the game in hopes that they are the media pioneers of the next big video game.

I wonder how many people are going to praise the game in hopes that they are the media pioneers of the next big video game.
14 Frags +
truktrukI wonder how many people are going to praise the game in hopes that they are the media pioneers of the next big video game.

Hard-pressed not to given the chance at making a healthy living off the game if it really takes off. I'm envious of their position almost. :o It's pretty low-risk/high-reward if it works out.

[quote=truktruk]I wonder how many people are going to praise the game in hopes that they are the media pioneers of the next big video game.[/quote]

Hard-pressed not to given the chance at making a healthy living off the game if it really takes off. I'm envious of their position almost. :o It's pretty low-risk/high-reward if it works out.
7 Frags +
truktrukI wonder how many people are going to praise the game in hopes that they are the media pioneers of the next big video game.

+1, exactly what i was thinking

[quote=truktruk]I wonder how many people are going to praise the game in hopes that they are the media pioneers of the next big video game.[/quote]

+1, exactly what i was thinking
9 Frags +
BUICKtruktrukI wonder how many people are going to praise the game in hopes that they are the media pioneers of the next big video game.

healthy living =/= making money, keith

[quote=BUICK][quote=truktruk]I wonder how many people are going to praise the game in hopes that they are the media pioneers of the next big video game.[/quote]

Hard-pressed not to given the chance at making a healthy living off the game if it really takes off. I'm envious of their position almost. :o It's pretty low-risk/high-reward if it works out.[/quote]

healthy living =/= making money, keith
32 Frags +

http://puu.sh/gfjcd/e23fe1491b.png

Wow, color me surprised, an Engineer-like class draining all kinds of speed and fun out of the game.

Tracer is a cutie, though.

[img]http://puu.sh/gfjcd/e23fe1491b.png[/img]
Wow, color me surprised, an Engineer-like class draining all kinds of speed and fun out of the game.

-12 Frags +
gr8stalinhttp://puu.sh/gfjcd/e23fe1491b.png

Angel is best girl. I can't wait!

[quote=gr8stalin][img]http://puu.sh/gfjcd/e23fe1491b.png[/img]
Tracer is a cutie, though.[/quote]

Angel is best girl. I can't wait!
-12 Frags +

will b4nny become the next Kripp???

will b4nny become the next Kripp???
20 Frags +

When I was watching the trailer I was thinking it was looking pretty ok, then I saw motherf*cking sentries. I wonder if devs realize that it's possible to make great fps' without adding deployable aimbot.

When I was watching the trailer I was thinking it was looking pretty ok, then I saw motherf*cking sentries. I wonder if devs realize that it's possible to make great fps' without adding deployable aimbot.
35 Frags +
messiahJI hope b4nny makes a thread about his first impression.

I will answer questions about it on Friday March 6th after the embargo/NDA expires.

[quote=messiahJ]I hope b4nny makes a thread about his first impression.[/quote]
I will answer questions about it on Friday March 6th after the embargo/NDA expires.
73 Frags +
muselkWe setup a game of Overwatch devs vs us TF2 players that were invited (Star, Jerma, b4nny and me, along with 2 others). First up, we were COMPLETELY destroyed. Like, not even close, alot of them were on 10/20+ killstreaks and we never even capped a single point. I thought that with pretty large amounts of FPS experience we'd put up a decent fight, but it was basically just a slaughter. For me that really shows that there is a HUGE amount of depth and that this ISNT just another shooter. You really do need to understand the game and thats worth 10x just being able to click on someone.

I can't follow the logic in this at all. If all the FPS experience on the TF2 side didn't mean anything then that sounds to me like the game doesn't emphasize FPS skills like movement and aim at all. I don't know jack shit about CS:GO but I can still go into a game and do well because I can aim a gun. Same for Quake. If I can't do the same in Overwatch then I assume those skills just aren't important. And if those skills aren't important, how can he call the game 'fast and diverse?' It doesn't get much faster than an arena shooter and diversity comes from the number of ways to play a character, not how many characters there are to play. And I don't even know what to make of the implication that you can win FPS games just by clicking on people without ever understanding the game. Everything he said reinforces my initial impressions of it being moba-like, except somehow muselk comes to the opposite conclusion.

All in all I can't TAKE his RECOMMENDATION very SERIOUSLY because hes so OVER THE TOP with the CAPSLOCK and CANT find ANYTHING about the GAME worth CRITICIZING. Comes across as super disingenuous and brown-nosey

[quote=muselk]We setup a game of Overwatch devs vs us TF2 players that were invited (Star, Jerma, b4nny and me, along with 2 others). First up, we were COMPLETELY destroyed. Like, not even close, alot of them were on 10/20+ killstreaks and we never even capped a single point. I thought that with pretty large amounts of FPS experience we'd put up a decent fight, but it was basically just a slaughter. For me that really shows that there is a HUGE amount of depth and that this ISNT just another shooter. You really do need to understand the game and thats worth 10x just being able to click on someone.[/quote]

I can't follow the logic in this at all. If all the FPS experience on the TF2 side didn't mean anything then that sounds to me like the game doesn't emphasize FPS skills like movement and aim [i]at all[/i]. I don't know jack shit about CS:GO but I can still go into a game and do well because I can aim a gun. Same for Quake. If I can't do the same in Overwatch then I assume those skills just aren't important. And if those skills aren't important, how can he call the game 'fast and diverse?' It doesn't get much faster than an arena shooter and diversity comes from the number of ways to play a character, not how many characters there are to play. And I don't even know what to make of the implication that you can win FPS games just by clicking on people without ever understanding the game. Everything he said reinforces my initial impressions of it being moba-like, except somehow muselk comes to the opposite conclusion.

All in all I can't TAKE his RECOMMENDATION very SERIOUSLY because hes so OVER THE TOP with the CAPSLOCK and CANT find ANYTHING about the GAME worth CRITICIZING. Comes across as super disingenuous and brown-nosey
6 Frags +

I kind of just want tf3 :/ too much to ask for.. but I guess probably everyone here will play it once at least

I kind of just want tf3 :/ too much to ask for.. but I guess probably everyone here will play it once at least
-10 Frags +

what would they add for a new version of tf2 lol

what would they add for a new version of tf2 lol
40 Frags +

yo fuck this game it will be a turd

yo fuck this game it will be a turd
9 Frags +
runescape_boy_420what would they add for a new version of tf2 lol

have u even played csgo

it'd be rad

[quote=runescape_boy_420]what would they add for a new version of tf2 lol[/quote]

have u even played csgo

it'd be rad
-5 Frags +

Idk guess its back to rs :/

[quote=runescape_boy_420]what would they add for a new version of tf2 lol[/quote]
Idk guess its back to rs :/
21 Frags +
AllealmuselkWe setup a game of Overwatch devs vs us TF2 players that were invited (Star, Jerma, b4nny and me, along with 2 others). First up, we were COMPLETELY destroyed. Like, not even close, alot of them were on 10/20+ killstreaks and we never even capped a single point. I thought that with pretty large amounts of FPS experience we'd put up a decent fight, but it was basically just a slaughter. For me that really shows that there is a HUGE amount of depth and that this ISNT just another shooter. You really do need to understand the game and thats worth 10x just being able to click on someone.
I can't follow the logic in this at all. If all the FPS experience on the TF2 side didn't mean anything then that sounds to me like the game doesn't emphasize FPS skills like movement and aim at all. I don't know jack shit about CS:GO but I can still go into a game and do well because I can aim a gun. Same for Quake. If I can't do the same in Overwatch then I assume those skills just aren't important. And if those skills aren't important, how can he call the game 'fast and diverse?' It doesn't get much faster than an arena shooter and diversity comes from the number of ways to play a character, not how many characters there are to play. And I don't even know what to make of the implication that you can win FPS games just by clicking on people without ever understanding the game. Everything he said reinforces my initial impressions of it being moba-like, except somehow muselk comes to the opposite conclusion.

Honestly, this. It just sounds like a first-person MOBA, not an FPS.

[quote=Alleal][quote=muselk]We setup a game of Overwatch devs vs us TF2 players that were invited (Star, Jerma, b4nny and me, along with 2 others). First up, we were COMPLETELY destroyed. Like, not even close, alot of them were on 10/20+ killstreaks and we never even capped a single point. I thought that with pretty large amounts of FPS experience we'd put up a decent fight, but it was basically just a slaughter. For me that really shows that there is a HUGE amount of depth and that this ISNT just another shooter. You really do need to understand the game and thats worth 10x just being able to click on someone.[/quote]

I can't follow the logic in this at all. If all the FPS experience on the TF2 side didn't mean anything then that sounds to me like the game doesn't emphasize FPS skills like movement and aim [i]at all[/i]. I don't know jack shit about CS:GO but I can still go into a game and do well because I can aim a gun. Same for Quake. If I can't do the same in Overwatch then I assume those skills just aren't important. And if those skills aren't important, how can he call the game 'fast and diverse?' It doesn't get much faster than an arena shooter and diversity comes from the number of ways to play a character, not how many characters there are to play. And I don't even know what to make of the implication that you can win FPS games just by clicking on people without ever understanding the game. Everything he said reinforces my initial impressions of it being moba-like, except somehow muselk comes to the opposite conclusion.[/quote]

Honestly, this. It just sounds like a first-person MOBA, not an FPS.
-24 Frags +

I really would like to see cs go style smoke bombs in tf2. Maybe only some situational classes like spy can deploy such grenades. It will just improve the team factor 10 fold. I know it will ruin pubs but when coordinated grenade pushes occur in cs go it is way too fun to watch and it should be in tf2 too.

I really would like to see cs go style smoke bombs in tf2. Maybe only some situational classes like spy can deploy such grenades. It will just improve the team factor 10 fold. I know it will ruin pubs but when coordinated grenade pushes occur in cs go it is way too fun to watch and it should be in tf2 too.
14 Frags +
blazeitrunescape_boy_420what would they add for a new version of tf2 lolI really would like to see cs go style smoke bombs in tf2. Maybe only some situational classes like spy can deploy such grenades. It will just improve the team factor 10 fold. I know it will ruin pubs but when coordinated grenade pushes occur in cs go it is way too fun to watch and it should be in tf2 too.

and that's why your names blazeit.
1. Because you're a dumbass
2. haha smoking

[quote=blazeit][quote=runescape_boy_420]what would they add for a new version of tf2 lol[/quote]
I really would like to see cs go style smoke bombs in tf2. Maybe only some situational classes like spy can deploy such grenades. It will just improve the team factor 10 fold. I know it will ruin pubs but when coordinated grenade pushes occur in cs go it is way too fun to watch and it should be in tf2 too.[/quote]

and that's why your names blazeit.
1. Because you're a dumbass
2. haha smoking
6 Frags +

7 Frags +

what exactly does "play like a moba" mean? the only similarites i see are long cooldown abilities, every thing else is bread and butter FPS mechanics. You could argue that ubercharges function in the same way the ultimate abilities in overwatch do. The two game modes are cp and payload and the game is based around 6v6, its pretty obvious they're going for the tf2 crowd.

what exactly does "play like a moba" mean? the only similarites i see are long cooldown abilities, every thing else is bread and butter FPS mechanics. You could argue that ubercharges function in the same way the ultimate abilities in overwatch do. The two game modes are cp and payload and the game is based around 6v6, its pretty obvious they're going for the tf2 crowd.
14 Frags +
Lunacidewhat exactly does "play like a moba" mean? the only similarites i see are long cooldown abilities, every thing else is bread and butter FPS mechanics.....

I'm imagining this is something similar to Super Monday Night Combat....

[quote=Lunacide]what exactly does "play like a moba" mean? the only similarites i see are long cooldown abilities, every thing else is bread and butter FPS mechanics.....[/quote]

I'm imagining this is something similar to Super Monday Night Combat....
6 Frags +

28 Frags +
blazeitWow muselk really liks that game. I was not a fan of their artwork but with muselk praising it so much, im definitely gonna try it.blazeitrunescape_boy_420what would they add for a new version of tf2 lolI really would like to see cs go style smoke bombs in tf2. Maybe only some situational classes like spy can deploy such grenades. It will just improve the team factor 10 fold. I know it will ruin pubs but when coordinated grenade pushes occur in cs go it is way too fun to watch and it should be in tf2 too.

Is this what r/tf2 is like?

[quote=blazeit]Wow muselk really liks that game. I was not a fan of their artwork but with muselk praising it so much, im definitely gonna try it.[/quote]
[quote=blazeit][quote=runescape_boy_420]what would they add for a new version of tf2 lol[/quote]
I really would like to see cs go style smoke bombs in tf2. Maybe only some situational classes like spy can deploy such grenades. It will just improve the team factor 10 fold. I know it will ruin pubs but when coordinated grenade pushes occur in cs go it is way too fun to watch and it should be in tf2 too.[/quote]
Is this what r/tf2 is like?
17 Frags +
Lunacidewhat exactly does "play like a moba" mean? the only similarites i see are long cooldown abilities, every thing else is bread and butter FPS mechanics. You could argue that ubercharges function in the same way the ultimate abilities in overwatch do. The two game modes are cp and payload and the game is based around 6v6, its pretty obvious they're going for the tf2 crowd.

3 main factors stand between players directly competing against each other on even ground: team play, game knowledge, and technical skill.

CS and TF2 6s=Tech Skill and Team Play over Game Knowledge
Quake=Tech Skill and Game Knowledge over Team Play
MOBAs=Game Knowledge and Team Play over Tech Skill

In order to compete competently and directly against the other player, you need to develop proficiency in the requisite factors until you're able to operate comfortably in the arena of the game.

I think Game Knowledge is the least desirable trait. Less is more, and an intuitive, easy to understand game is a lot more fun to play and learn than one that artificially inflates its Game Knowledge requirements tenfold. But if MOBAs didn't have enormous amounts of Game Knowledge to learn then they'd basically be glorified board games. This doesn't mean they aren't competitive or difficult, just that I think they're needlessly complicated and slow.

And to the average player, MOBAs are easy. You don't need 100 hours of practice to reliably hit your enemy, and anyone can learn the rules (read: all the heroes and items and stuff) eventually. It's this appeal to the average gamer that's causing devs to shit them out left and right in all shapes and sizes. But they're all really still the same type of game. Lots of breadth, little depth.

[quote=Lunacide]what exactly does "play like a moba" mean? the only similarites i see are long cooldown abilities, every thing else is bread and butter FPS mechanics. You could argue that ubercharges function in the same way the ultimate abilities in overwatch do. The two game modes are cp and payload and the game is based around 6v6, its pretty obvious they're going for the tf2 crowd.[/quote]

3 main factors stand between players directly competing against each other on even ground: team play, game knowledge, and technical skill.

CS and TF2 6s=Tech Skill and Team Play over Game Knowledge
Quake=Tech Skill and Game Knowledge over Team Play
MOBAs=Game Knowledge and Team Play over Tech Skill

In order to compete competently and directly against the other player, you need to develop proficiency in the requisite factors until you're able to operate comfortably in the arena of the game.

I think Game Knowledge is the least desirable trait. Less is more, and an intuitive, easy to understand game is a lot more fun to play and learn than one that artificially inflates its Game Knowledge requirements tenfold. But if MOBAs [i]didn't[/i] have enormous amounts of Game Knowledge to learn then they'd basically be glorified board games. This doesn't mean they aren't competitive or difficult, just that I think they're needlessly complicated and slow.

And to the average player, MOBAs are easy. You don't need 100 hours of practice to reliably hit your enemy, and anyone can learn the rules (read: all the heroes and items and stuff) eventually. It's this appeal to the average gamer that's causing devs to shit them out left and right in all shapes and sizes. But they're all really still the same type of game. Lots of breadth, little depth.
-3 Frags +
swagmachineblazeitWow muselk really liks that game. I was not a fan of their artwork but with muselk praising it so much, im definitely gonna try it.blazeitrunescape_boy_420what would they add for a new version of tf2 lolI really would like to see cs go style smoke bombs in tf2. Maybe only some situational classes like spy can deploy such grenades. It will just improve the team factor 10 fold. I know it will ruin pubs but when coordinated grenade pushes occur in cs go it is way too fun to watch and it should be in tf2 too.Is this what r/tf2 is like?

this would be good content for r/tf2

[quote=swagmachine][quote=blazeit]Wow muselk really liks that game. I was not a fan of their artwork but with muselk praising it so much, im definitely gonna try it.[/quote]
Is this what r/tf2 is like?[/quote]

this would be good content for r/tf2
2 Frags +
b4nnyI will answer questions about it on Friday March 6th after the embargo/NDA expires.

Please make your first answer about whether there's an FOV slider, and what the max is, when that thread does come.

I know it's a dumb meme but it's actually very important. It basically explains how Blizzard is approaching this - from a caring PC angle, or one dumbed down for the masses.

Will that thread be here, or somewhere else like Reddit?

blazeitI really would like to see cs go style smoke bombs in tf2. Maybe only some situational classes like spy can deploy such grenades. It will just improve the team factor 10 fold. I know it will ruin pubs but when coordinated grenade pushes occur in cs go it is way too fun to watch and it should be in tf2 too.

You mean robot tank explosions? Because those are literally CSGO smoke.

[quote=b4nny]I will answer questions about it on Friday March 6th after the embargo/NDA expires.[/quote]
Please make your first answer about whether there's an FOV slider, and what the max is, when that thread does come.

I know it's a dumb meme but it's actually very important. It basically explains how Blizzard is approaching this - from a caring PC angle, or one dumbed down for the masses.

Will that thread be here, or somewhere else like Reddit?

[quote=blazeit]I really would like to see cs go style smoke bombs in tf2. Maybe only some situational classes like spy can deploy such grenades. It will just improve the team factor 10 fold. I know it will ruin pubs but when coordinated grenade pushes occur in cs go it is way too fun to watch and it should be in tf2 too.[/quote]
You mean robot tank explosions? Because those are literally CSGO smoke.
1 2 3 4 ⋅⋅ 9
Please sign in through STEAM to post a comment.